Whether you’re new to roller derby (or indeed exercise) or an old hat at it; there’s no doubt that your core muscles are going to get a hammering. To help you get in shape, this blog is going to explore some of the top abdominal exercises you can do – at home, with no equipment!
The Chair Lift
- Ok so bear with me – you park it on a chair or coffee table or any sturdy surface.
- Then place your hands either side and (drawing your belly button into your spine but remember to keep breathing ! ) you lift yourself up.
- Hold for as long as possible, rest repeat.
- Do this for about a minute
The Muffin Top
- Test your balance and your oblique muscles! Lay on your side
- Place your left forearm on the floor and either, keeping your left knee on the floor or straighten both legs out and lift!
- Keep your middle tight and the movement controlled
- Slowly lower
- Repeat 8 times and swap sides
Pump it up
- Lay flat on your back
- Lift both legs a few inches off the floor
- Now raise yourself from your waist a few inches keeping your core tight
- Straighten your arms by your sides
- Inhale deeply and as you exhale pump your arms 5 times
- Inhale whilst pumping your arms 5 times, exhale pump 5 times
- Continue until you reach 100!
- Lay in a plank
- Lift yourself up
- Lift your right leg and left arm
- Keep the movement control
- Lift and lower
- Swap – lift and lower
- Do 20 reps (10 for each size)
- Stay on the floor
- Stretch both legs out in front of you and lift above your hips
- Lift your shoulders off the floor a few inches
- Keeping your abs “engaged” bring your right leg towards you
- Alternate keeping the movement controlled
- Breathe it out – repeat for a minute
These simple exercises shouldn’t take you more than 15 minutes to do – so set aside some time, put the custard creams down and give it a go! Why not set yourself a 30 day challenge and see if you can tell the difference!
Walker Texas Danger